Sunday, August 29, 2010

Whats 52 seconds

So the Ballycotton Summer Series is finished. My first attempt at getting that elusive top 50 t-shirt, but this year it was not to be...Eddie charged in with a combined time of 2 hours and 8 minutes, me 52 seconds later. Next year!

Monday I did my weekly tempo run. This time it was two loops of Mahon - 10 miles at 6:40. A tough run but helped a bit by a nice wind at my back. Tuesday and Wednesday I rested up for Thursday night.

The Ballycotton 5 on Thursday night had 500 runners. A great buzz around the place. Still feeling a bit tired after Monday my goal was for a sub 31 (my Churchtown time was 30:58). I hadn't a chance of getting in the top 50 - too much time lost in Ballyandreen.

The first mile was 5:50. As expected it was quick but my watch had stopped showing me speed. Pain in the arse. This is the second time thats happened. Ah well it'll be good for me to judge my pace. Grellan was just ahead - my plan had been to keep pace with him but I had a feeling I'd need to scrap that plan to get under 31. Mile 2 6:10. Flat enough the watch was well and truly screwed. Mile 3 was the start of the hills. The one toward the end was painful - 6:20. Ok time going backward but average still good. Needed to pick it up. Mile 4 actually had some good downhill sections. Much needed to get the heart rate down and recover a bit - 6:15. Last mile is tough because of the long drag to home. Robert passed me on the way into Ballycotton. Finished in 31:00. Not bad. Speed is down a bit but I'll put that down to the marathon work kicking in.

Friday I went for a recovery run on the treadmill. 4 miles flat. I was going to do five but was apprehensive about the long run on Saturday morning.

Looooong run Saturday. Ballinora loop was 11.6 miles and then we did "a few loops" of the farm. 3 loops. 3 loooong loops. I was shattered. Only for Grellan I dont think I'd of been able to go for that third loop. 18.2 miles in total. The intense part of the training has officially started!

No comments:

Post a Comment