Saturday, August 7, 2010

The run thats got everything

Its been a busy week of running.

Tuesday on the track with the Eagles we did 5X50M sprints followed by a gruelling pyramid - 200M, 400M, 600M, 400M and 200M. Its all out on these sprints. Liam our coach splits us into three teams. For the first time I was promoted into the fast team. :)

The first team are given a 10 second head start, followed by the mid team and then 5 seconds later our team. Aim is to catch the team ahead before they get to the finish line. Its a tough session but worth it. Heart rate was sitting in the 80-90% range for the entire session. Am fairly sure I saw it peaked at 196 which would be about 95% !!

Following night (Wednesday) I ran the Novartis 5K. Its got a few drags, the worst being the last 600M which are up a steep enough hill. Started out quick, first mile 5:49. Paul Daly came along side during mile two and we matched pace for the rest of the race. Its great having someone to run with on these races, it really helps focus on the running. 2nd mile was slower because of a few drags, 6:08. The last mile Paul pulled ahead on a downhill section but then came the 600M climb. Head down I charged up the hill. Passed about four people (Paul included), last mile 5:55. The track training really helped here I think. My breathing is usually what stops me toward the end but tonight I managed to keep it under control - thrilled! Finished with 18:28 on my watch.

Thursday night marathon pace training at the farm with Pat and Colin. 5 loops (2.2 miles per loop). Pace for 3.5 loops was 6:50. Pretty tired after Novartis but its good to get back into the marathon training rythm again. These Thursday night sessions are what really helped me for Cork so am anxious to get them started up early this time.

Saturday morning up bright and early for a 16 miler (Raheen loop). Still not easy! When will the log runs feel easy again?! Kevin and I charged raheen hill (over 1 mile up), pace was 7:30 for the hill. Almost killled me!!

Finished off the 16 miles with a 1 mile sprint back to the cars. So its the session that has just about everything jammed into it! :)

Looking forward to a BBQ tonight and a rest day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment