Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Curry + booze != run

A bit behind schedule this week. Had to go to London for two days with work. Which usually is a good thing cos I get to run in Richmond park (8 mile loop) but sadly it was not to be this time. The customer insisted on a curry night followed by lots of booze and who am I to say no!

So Monday I did my usual Hill program on the treadmill. 4 miles at 8:00 pace. Am quite getting into the Hill program now. It helps to break up the monotony of long runs on the treadmill. Especially since my mp3 player is out of charge and I keep forgetting to sort it out...

Tuesday I did a 5 mile tempo (6:50 pace) with a mile warmup and another mile warmdown. This is going to become a major part of my weekly program I think. They're tough to get started but once the first mile is out of the way you kind of slip into the zone. And then just hold on! Next week I'll be doubling that mileage.

Wednesday night was curry night. And Thursday was recover from Wednesdays festivities...

Recovery run on Friday on the treadmill, 5 miles at 8:20. Who'd of thought recovery runs could be so useful! :)

My weekly long run on Saurday morning saw us on a brand new route down in Carraigaline. There were about 10 of us that morning. Route took us down to Crosshaven (flat path along the river) and then a few hills up to Myrtleville and along to Fountainstown. As usually there was a bit of a push on each hill. On our way back toward Carraigaline though we came across a right little beastie of a hill. Well over a mile long and it saved its best bit to the end. Unable to keep the pace I caved before I finally saw the bloody top. Colin (who is obviously doing some sly training in the Kenyan highlands mid-week) passed me, Kevin in close pursuit!

Actually it seemed to me like this route was basically all long up hill drags followed by short steep downhill sections. Too steep to enjoy. All in all I'd have to say it was is not my favourite loop but maybe in time I'll grow to like it...

No comments:

Post a Comment