Sunday, August 15, 2010

John Wayne returns

A tough week running. Monday saw me in the Gym on the treadmill, 4 miles on the Hill program. Not too bad, preparing myself for the next nights race.

Tuesday night was the last in the Cork track and field events for this year. Tonight I entered into the 800M up in the C.I.T. track. My home ground! :)

I entered into the group intending to get under 2:30. I felt that at a stretch I might just sneak under. At the training sessions I've been getting about 70 seconds for 400M - flat out. The first 400M I did in 69 seconds (a pb with still 400 to go!!), the next 200M I gritted my teeth to hang on but in the last 200M I actually got my breathing back and started to increase the speed again. 77 seconds for the 2nd 400, 2:26 overall. Delighted! I felt that I could definitely go faster with a bit more experience at this distance. And, again, my breathing is improving.

Took a rest on Wednesday, more in prep for renovating the house Thursday than for running.

Thursday, after a day with a Kango hammer and a wall, I did my first serious tempo session down in Mahon. 1 mile warm up and then into a 5 mile flat(ish) loop.
Loop 1: 6:50 pace all the way around. Tough going on your own. As I came up to the end of the loop I had a multitude of reasons for not doing a second loop.
Loop 2: 6:50 pace. Had to dig deep as they say. But happy that I forced myself to take it.
Finished up with a 1 mile warm down.

Saturday I met up with Colin, Kev and Pat for a long run at a fast pace. The Ballinora route is not my favourite. Its full of  "rolling" hills - that I just had to charge up. Again my breathing was spot on and my legs felt strong. Was really enjoying the sprints to the top. Kev and Colin split off for a shorter 12 mile loop while Pat and I went on to do the 15 miles. Well almost, we got slightly lost and ended up doing 14.3. To make up for the loss we did another couple of miles at the farm when we got back. Total - 18 miles, average pace 7:40.

Spent the rest of Saturday walking like a cowboy after a day in the saddle. Not much better today to be honest!
Total mileage for the week - 40.5 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment